HOW TO RECEIVE BHN CRIME WATCH ALERTS
The fastest way to receive alerts from bhnwatch is to use your cell phone to receive text messages from Twitter. You donÕt need a smartphone, but your cell phone (and wireless plan) must support text messaging. Here's what you need to do:
(1) Create a Twitter account at www.twitter.com.
(2) Link your Twitter account to your cell phone number. (Do this at https://twitter.com/settings/devices once you have created your account.)
(3) From your cell phone, text this message to 40404: follow bhnwatch (You should do this even if youÕre already following bhnwatch, in order to activate the messaging feature.)
(4) Any future crime watch alerts from bhnwatch will now be sent to your cell phone as text messages. (Normal messaging rates for your cell phone plan, if any, will apply.)
(5) To stop receiving crime watch alerts, text this message to 40404: unfollow bhnwatch
HOW TO SEND BHN CRIME WATCH ALERTS
Using your cell phone, you can tweet a crime watch alert to everyone in the group by texting a message to 40404 using the Twitter direct message command, i.e. d bhnwatch <your message>
d bhnwatch Car break-in near 1800 block of Beechwood just 10 minutes ago
To prevent spamming, a Twitter account must be authorized to send direct messages to bhnwatch. The authorization process is automatic once I determine that your Twitter account is not an ad-bot or a spam-bot. You can learn if your Twitter account is authorized by checking to see if bhnwatch is following it. If not, you can either tweet @wtimothyholman or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request authorization.
BHN Crime Watch Subcommittee